KPBS is committed to providing quality local in-depth news and news analysis on all of its platforms – TV, radio, web, social media and mobile. The mission of the news division is to provide balanced, accurate reports about the people and issues of import affecting San Diego & Imperial Counties and its citizens. KPBS provides in-depth coverage on regional issues via reports through KPBS’ multiplatform journalism initiative, which delves into often unknown or untold critical stories about decisions that affect the citizens of San Diego.
The General Assignment reporter – North County, covers news of local relevance and often national significance across all KPBS beats, as directed. The reporter will work collaboratively with beat reporters, and at the direction of the News Editor. The reporter will also work in coordination with other members of the News Division.
KPBS beats involve taking complex concepts and rendering them into accessible and compelling stories. These stories will be carefully grounded in fact, but can still be playful or moving as the subject matter requires.
KPBS news beats are, but not exclusive to, arts & culture, border, education, environment, health, investigative, metro, and military.
The Reporter will pitch news stories, or be assigned stories by the editors, that can be distributed on KPBS radio, TV, KPBS.org, KPBS social networking and KPBS mobile. The news stories will be produced in formats for radio newscasts, in-depth radio features, TV packages, multi-media projects and special reports as assigned. The Reporter works closely with online producers and editors to create original content in support of beat reporting.
The Reporter may be assigned to anchor radio newscasts, and appear as a guest or host on KPBS TV and radio programs. The Reporter is expected to participate in station on-air fundraising activities, and make appearances for KPBS community-building events and other public relations activities.
This position is within the SAG-AFTRA bargaining unit with KPBS.
News Reporting and Producing:
- KPBS News Reporters have a bevy of options to employ when providing news content: spot news, feature reports, cut and copy, live debrief, tape talk, field packages, photos, video, audio, blog posts, and newscasts. The primary flow of work will be to start a story online, shoot video on the topic and edit it or work in partnership with a videographer for longer pieces as needed, and move the gathered content effectively across all news platforms.
- The reporter, at the direction of the Director of News and Editorial Strategy, will follow the KPBS Strategic Plan and Editorial Vision.
- The reporter researches topics, develops contacts and interviews sources, maintains notes and broadcast recordings, writes and edits reports, produces and voices reports for air, and works with a production unit to produce TV and multi-media productions.
- Possesses excellent storytelling skills and high journalistic standards.
- Reads and follows major developments on general stories, and especially on issues s/he has covered in the past
- Maintains diverse contact lists and files for on-going continuity of coverage and accumulation of knowledge
- Brainstorms story ideas with reporters, supervisor, producers and digital team.
- Attends meetings, represents the station at public events, and is responsible for appropriate record keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree of equivalent work in journalism.
- Minimum two years professional experience as a news journalist, preferable in TV and/or radio.
- A minimum of one year's experience in research, preferably in a broadcast or print news/interview setting.
- Fluency in Spanish. Fluency in other languages desirable.
- Public media experience.
- Experience in data reporting.
- Demonstrated skills in using video and audio recording equipment, still cameras, and audio & video editing software.
- Ability to shoot and edit video.
- Ability to successfully engage audience via social media.
- Knowledge of current San Diego and regional issues.
This position is open until 1/20/20 at which time applications will be reviewed.
For more information and to apply, click HERE.