KTOO is looking for a talented and curious digital journalist to work 25 hours per week in our Juneau, Alaska-based (but virtual for now) newsroom. Your job will be to polish up great reporting from across the state and make it shine online.
The stories on our website are a mix of original reporting and content from KTOO and republished news stories from a vast network of public media organizations across Alaska. The Web Editor is responsible for copy editing news stories, writing headlines, finding appropriate visuals and sharing stories on social media.
This position reports to KTOO’s Managing Editor and works closely with the news team as well as KTOO’s Arts & Culture and Production teams occasionally.
This is an hourly position with funding for 3 months. You’ll be joining our newsroom virtually and will need to use your own personal computer.
- Edit news stories for KTOO.org, including copy editing, headline writing and identifying appropriate visuals; then share on social media
- Work with KTOO’s Managing Editor to manage homepage and social media accounts
- Follow a workflow and posting schedule for digital content on web & social media
- Pay attention to KTOO’s digital audience trends and suggest improvements for engagement
Successful candidates will possess the following skills and competencies:
- Strong interest in journalism, especially in working in a digital or broadcast newsroom
- Familiarity with issues that are important to Alaskans and Juneauites
- Excellent writing skills and careful copy editing
- Experience writing or editing in AP style
- Knowledge of best practices in search engine optimization and social media
- Experience with content management systems and WordPress sites
- Prior responsibility posting on social media for a professional organization or business
- Confidence in your skills and experience and a willingness to collaborate with others
- Enthusiasm for local news and audience engagement
- Ability to stay calm under pressure when technology fails, plus a willingness to learn new equipment and operations
KTOO has a mid-sized newsroom in a small market, which means we have robust reporting power and a strong presence and reputation in the community. You will be joining a team that includes 2 news editors, 1 digital editor, 3 statewide reporters and 3 local reporters. With you, there will be 10 journalists in the newsroom. You’ll also join a fun Slack group with 40-something reporters, editors and producers at public media stations around Alaska.
Our editorial focus is a mix of stories of local and statewide importance. Our statewide reporters focus on state government (Juneau is the capital of Alaska), healthcare, energy & natural resource policy, Alaska’s economy, science and climate change. Our local reporters focus on city governance, housing & homelessness issues, tourism & other local economic drivers, criminal justice & re-entry/recidivism, early childhood education & schools, and Alaska Native culture and governance.
KTOO supports station-wide efforts to increase diversity and inclusion. The newsroom is committed to consciously seeking out voices, perspectives and stories not found in other outlets or in the media at all. We keep track of the gender and race and/or ethnicity of all our sources and strive to source our stories with diversity and inclusivity in mind. Our community is almost 20% Alaska Native and 10% Asian and we are trying to ensure that those voices are represented in our coverage.
Deadline: Open until filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Salary: $20.99 Hourly. 25 Hours Per Week. Not eligible for benefits.
Apply: online at https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/apply-online/
KTOO is an Equal Opportunity Employer