Valley Public Radio is seeking a dynamic leader to supervise the station’s broadcast and digital content operations. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively to inspire our team to create outstanding content while advancing the station in a changing world, engaging with new audiences and utilizing new technologies. Valley Public Radio is committed to an inclusive vision of public media, and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Valley Public Radio serves the residents of California’s San Joaquin Valley, with stations serving both the Fresno and Bakersfield markets. Valley Public Radio is a community licensee and has served the region for over 40 years as a trusted outlet, broadcasting both news (KVPR) and classical (KVPR Classical) formats.
The station is housed in a new state-of-the-art broadcast center in Clovis, CA located at the edge of the Sierra Nevada, minutes away from Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Fresno is California’s fifth largest city, and is located approximately halfway between Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area. It is the hub for a region that grows over a quarter of the nation’s food supply. Beyond delicious local produce, fruits and nuts, outdoor recreation and cultural activities are abundant, and the Fresno/Clovis area remains one of the most affordable housing markets in California. The Fresno/Clovis area also boasts two four year universities, a new medical school, and growing technology and health care industries.
- Responsible for the overall quality of Valley Public Radio’s broadcast and digital content.
- Select, schedule and evaluate station programming and analyze listener data to build audience and advance the mission of the station and its service to the community.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to maintain consistency, quality and ethical standards in all content operations.
- Oversee station on-air staff, including recruiting, training, management and evaluation.
- Work collaboratively with the station’s News Director to deliver original station content to our audience and align local and national content.
- Responsible for the management of station operations, production and engineering teams.
- Responsible for management of station digital assets including KVPR.org, the KVPR app, social media and other properties.
- Oversee station marketing and communications activities.
- Work collaboratively across departments to plan and facilitate station events.
- Communicate with the station’s board of directors, advisory councils and other stakeholder groups regarding station content, audience trends and other initiatives.
- Responsible for keeping the General Manger informed regarding programming, audience, operations, regulatory and other related matters.
- Management of various special projects and initiatives, including content-related grants.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: A bachelor's degree is required. The ideal candidate has five to ten years of experience in public media, and familiarity with the editorial and broadcast standards of public media organizations. Prior management experience is preferred but not required.
Essential Skills: Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse team toward a common goal. Extensive knowledge of public radio. Attention to detail, strong written and verbal communication skills are essential. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively. Demonstrated proficiency in live on-air broadcast environments, and with digital audio recording and editing software is required. Other computer skills include proficiency in Microsoft Office, web-based content management and project management software, and social media platforms.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly to talk, hear, walk, sit for extended periods, travel, and occasionally stand, use hands to feel and hold, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, far vision, and ability to adjust focus. The ability and stamina to travel extensively, both by driving and flying, is essential. The environment for this position is primarily in offices, the studio, or other indoor venues. (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Please note: This is not an all-encompassing statement of this position’s responsibilities. While it attempts to be comprehensive, new responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.
Valley Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. It provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees for jobs, skills training and promotions regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees who are qualified individuals with a disability as defined by law. Should you require assistance due to a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for your application process, please send an email to email@example.com or call 559-862-2481.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org