WKAR, the NPR affiliate for Michigan State University and mid-Michigan, seeks to expand our local news service with the addition of a full-time local anchor and producer for ‘Weekend Edition’ and ‘Weekend All Things Considered’. Weekend responsibilities include writing and anchoring three formal newscasts, six casual news updates, and recording evening and overnight weather forecasts Saturday and Sunday.
In addition to hosting weekend news magazines, this position is responsible for researching and pitching potential stories at news meetings and writing and reporting local news with a focus on telling Latinx stories. These stories will be shared with the Michigan Public Radio Network and NPR.
The selected candidate will have an understanding of, and ability to communicate, the issues faced by the Latinx communities, as well as the ability to connect with broader Spanish speaking communities. This person will have the opportunity to collaborate with existing Spanish speaking community networks, with a goal of expanding and enriching relationships across communities. Ability to work with committees to develop programs that best serve the needs, information and hope of the Latinx in the Mid Michigan area. Other responsibilities include occasionally filling in as host of Morning Edition or All Things Considered, using social media to engage audiences, and translating select WKAR news content into Spanish. Fluency in writing and speaking both Spanish and English is required. This position is perfect for someone looking to learn and build valuable experience, or for a veteran eager to utilize their proven skills in a variety of ways. This person will report to the managing editor, and will work closely with the radio station manager, program director, other on-air hosts, reporters, and student interns.
This position will also enjoy the spectacular benefits that Michigan State University has to offer. In addition to salary, Michigan State University provides its staff with a variety of benefits, which are among the best in the profession. Among the most important are a retirement program (10% matching), health, prescription drug, dental, and life coverage.
East Lansing, Michigan continuously ranks as a ‘best place to live’ for its very affordable living, small town charm, vibrant arts and local activities – not to mention it’s only short drive to Michigan’s captivating great lakes and beautiful scenic views.
- A bachelor's degree in broadcasting, communication, journalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluent in both Spanish and English, written and spoken.
- Proven understanding of Latinx culture, history, and traditions in the United States and around the world, and the ability to connect with the audience of WKAR.
- A minimum of one year of on-air experience
- Eagerness to pitch programming for the Latinx community
- Ability to work with leadership of radio to advance initiatives to serve the broader Spanish speaking communities
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality news content and programming
- Experience with automation systems and audio editing
- Ability to work on multiple tasks, on deadline, and under pressure
- Comfortable working live or recorded
- Self-motivated with experience turning ideas into action
- Prior on-air experience in public and/or commercial broadcasting
- Work experience that demonstrates professionalism, curiosity, and diverse interests
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and willing to find a path forward when presented with an obstacle
WKAR is a division of the College of Communication Arts & Sciences at Michigan State University. It includes WKAR-TV, WKAR AM and FM, WKAR.org, the Radio Reading Service, and WKAR Ready-To-Learn, and contributes to the educational experience of Michigan State University's 50,000-plus student body. For additional information, please visit wkar.org.
Application deadline is June 25, 2020. Qualified applicants can apply online by visiting careers.msu.edu and refer to job posting #653219.
MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.