PMJA is an association representing public media journalists across the United States.
Public Media Journalists Association supports, empowers and advocates for journalists working in public media. In that endeavor we seek to foster high ethical standards in the practice of journalism through:
- Providing training and networking opportunities that allow our members to improve and excel in their work, giving stations a venue for sharing innovations and best practices
- Working for greater diversity, equity and inclusion throughout public media
- Championing members working to create environments free of discrimination and harassment
- Creating and cultivating pathways to support diverse leadership.
- Advocating for a society where journalism can be practiced freely without threat
The organization was formerly known at Public Radio News Directors Inc., and began as an association representing those responsible for the day-to-day direction, reporting and editing of local public media newsrooms. In 2019, the organization changed its name in an effort to be more encompassing of all journalists in the public media sphere.