PMJA Code of Conduct
Public Media Journalists Association is committed to providing a professional and educational environment that allows everyone in attendance to feel safe and valued. To that end, our attendees — including sponsors, vendors, speakers, exhibitors, employees and volunteers — are held to the following expectations:
- Behave professionally and appropriately.
- Be kind and considerate in all interactions with others.
- Demeaning, harassing, aggressive and intimidating behavior and materials will not be tolerated.
- Respect others in attendance — respect other’s personal space, and be aware of those around you to ensure a good experience for everyone.
- Inappropriate behavior including harassment, intimidation, aggression and bullying interfere with others’ ability to participate fully in the event. Therefore, we will not tolerate behavior including but not limited to:
Slurs; derogatory statements; obscene language and jokes; leering; stalking; sexual comments; uninvited touching and sexual advances; hostile or physical intimidation; sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic and racist language and/or behavior; violating personal space; offensive texts, email or voicemail messages; or offensive social media postings.
Consequences of inappropriate behavior:
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for all participants, up to and including warning the offender or expulsion from the event with no refund.
Event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please report it immediately. Misconduct can be reported to PMJA Executive Director Christine Paige Diers or a member of the PMJA Board, at the event.
Our team can help you contact venue security, local support services, local law enforcement, or otherwise assist to ensure you feel safe for the duration of the event.
We value your attendance and expect all participants to adhere to this policy at all conference venues and on-site or off-site events.